Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Verve Preview - Tall Oaks



Sneak previews of the new holiday sets from Verve began today over on the Verve blog. Head over there to see what Bethany and guest designers Jen Tapler and Jennifer Meyer have put together with two new sets called Tall Oaks and Hello Pumpkin.

My project is posted over there today, too, but I wanted to show it here also. I chose to work with one of the images from Tall Oaks. As soon as I saw this pumpkin trio, I thought it would be perfect for some Thanksgiving placecards. I stamped the pumpkin trio on Papertrey Ivory in Adirondack Espresso ink, then did my coloring with Prismacolor pencils, Gamsol, and a blending stump. The middle pumpkin is stamped a second time and popped up on a dimensional. I layered everything onto some Twiggy designer paper by Memory Box and embellished with some dark brown twill, burlap string, and machine stitching. Each person's name is handwritten on an ivory strip and held in place with a mini binder clip.

My family likes to give me a hard time when I go and get all fancy on them, but I love to do little things like this to make them feel special. And don't you know, yesterday, after I had staged this photo, my 5yo and 8yo asked if we could leave the table that way for lunch. They were so cute drinking their water from the stemmed goblets and eating their chips and sandwiches from the "real" plates (as opposed to their usual plastic). They really did feel special!

After making a handful of placecards, I had one leftover pumpkin trio stamped and colored. Lucky for me, today's sketch for the Verve Holiday Release Sketch Blitz was perfect for it! So here's how it looks on a card:



Thanks for stopping by!



Stamps: Tall Oaks (Verve Stamps)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Really Rust (SU), Papertrey Ivory, Twiggy dp (Memory Box)
Ink: Adirondack Espresso (Ranger)
Accessories: mini binder clip (SU!); brown twill (Offray); burlap string (Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts); edge distressing tool, paper piercer, Prismacolor pencils, Gamsol, blending stumps, sewing machine

21 comments:

Angel said...

Just gorgeous! I love seeing all of the place setting ideas floating around. Just me and hubby and DD here for Thanksgiving, but I think I may get fancy for Christmas. :-)

Jackie Pedro said...

What a beautiful placecard!! Your sketch card is also wonderful!! I'm excited for the new Verve release!!

I had to laugh about your kids drinking from the goblets! Every holiday meal my girls drink their milk from a wine glass!!

Amy said...

what a great story and a great memory for the kids! They obviously have great taste like their mom....your table setting/cards are gorgeous!

Cassie said...

just lovely amy!!

Anonymous said...

Just a cute, simple story like that has me crying. How precious!! Treasure them, Amy, they will be grown up before you know it!!

Shannan Teubner said...

Such a fabulous project, Amy! And such sweet boys!

Darlene said...

WOW!! I Love this! The coloring is awesome, the colors you used are great and the finished products are stunning! I am inspired (again!) :-)

Jessie/knightrone said...

Gorgeous Amy!! Love it!!

Desire Fourie said...

This is gorgeous with lovely rich hues. And all that stitching just adds another dimension and finishes off the creation. Warm regards

Christyne said...

Your card and place card are just wonderful! You did a great colouring job!

Laurel said...

Gorgeous, the papers are perfect for this stamp! Your stitching is the perfect touch!

Jami said...

Wow Amy - these are beautiful!! I bet everyone feels really special at your table!!
hugs, Jami

Chris said...

I have to say that each one of your cards leaves me sighing...they are incredible works of art. I love your little stories too. :)

Linda said...

You just made one of my favorite cards with my favorite season as your theme!!! THIS IS LOVERLY!!
Linda L Bien (SCS name)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card, Amy. I love that you chose to do a thanksgiving card because we jump into Christmas so fast! Wonderful as always!

Anonymous said...

Love the placecards, Amy! Can't wait to see the new Verve stamps!

Erum Tasneem said...

This is so beautiful!

Nancy said...

These are so pretty! Wonderful of you let your kids eat on the "real" stuff. That's the kind of thing they will remember when they're grown. ;)

Conniecrafter said...

Wow that is some fancy place cards, that would make me feel very special...would be a great take home gift too, they can remove the clip with their name and use the card for someone else!
Love the card too, like how you gave the pumpkins dimension!

Ravengirl said...

Beautiful! Really, really rich colors! I love the stitching, it makes me want to unbury my sewing machine!

dpkennedy said...

Wow, your cards are beautiful! Wonderful coloring!